10 June, 2010

Behind the Fashion: Miss Rosie

Here are the magnificent Miss Rosie‘s answers!! I love her answers greatly and am eternally grateful that she would do this.






What inspired you to wear Lolita?
I’m not sure how to answer this. I was wearing other alternative fashions and dyed my hair unnatural colors long before I discovered lolita, so I can’t say that I was ever intimidated by wearing the clothing out in public. Strangers staring wasn’t exactly something new for me, so I didn’t really need inspiration in that sense.

I think I was most drawn to the lolita aesthetic because it is a frivolous and hyper-feminine form of expression that is also modest. In mainstream fashion, and even in other alternative subcultures the emphasis on a woman’s sex-appeal is almost always present, and it’s nice to have an escape from that kind of social pressure. Lolita makes me feel good about being a woman, while most other fashions made me more insecure.

Purchasing the clothing was something different entirely. I couldn’t bring myself to ask my parents to buy it for me so while I found out about lolita fashion early in my high school years, I didn’t seriously consider wearing it until I reached college and actually had the time and resources of my own.

What do you like to wear when not in Lolita?
It depends, I suppose. Usually if I’m in public and not in lolita it means that I just don’t have the time or energy to get dressed up at all that day. In that case I’ll usually just throw on a pair of jeans and an old band tee shirt. I really don’t like pants much, but I despise shaving my legs, so the jeans usually win out over skirts if I’m crunched for time. If I’m at home I’m usually in my boyfriend’s pajamas. :3

Are you in school? If so what is your major/grade?

Yes, I’m a senior at an American university. Currently I’m studying criminology, though I’m not really sure what I’ll do with the degree after I finish. At least the coursework was interesting.

What would you say are your “non-lolita” hobbies?
To be honest, I don’t consider any of my other hobbies to be lolita-specific because I liked them long before I found the fashion. I like traveling, drawing, reading, baking, sewing and collecting cute things.

I also enjoy scary things like ghost stories, horror films, haunted houses, and survial horror videogames. Lately I’ve been playing a lot of videogames that involve punching holes in zombies with a shotgun, but if it seems creepy I’m probably interested.

What kind of music do you enjoy?
My favorite band is Coheed and Cambria. In general I enjoy alternative/indie rock music, though occasionally I listen to classical music and jazz.

Books?
Again, I’m a fan of the horror/post-apocalypse genre. I’ve been on a zombie kick for the last year or so, but I’ve read quite a few stories about ghosts and serial killers as well.

What do you think is the least Lolita about you?
Clothing doesn’t, and shouldn’t dictate behaviour. That said, I’m not going to deny that there are plenty of stereotypes about lolitas.

I suppose the least stereotypical thing about me would be that I don’t like most teas. I think fruit teas are nice enough when they’re sweetened, but other than that, I can’t stand the beverage. ):

Any final words?

If you want to do something, do it now instead of just dreaming about it. There will always be people who will try to discourage you from achieving your goals, but you can’t waste your life trying to please them. Stand up for the people you love and the things you believe in so that you can live your life without regrets. :3

Also, I’d like to thank you for inviting me to participate. I really appreciate it!
Yours,
Miss Rosie

No comments:

Post a Comment