02 June, 2010

Behind the Fashion: Victoria Suzanne

The magnificent Victoria Suzanne of Lolita Charm has agreed to participate in this series. She is the author of one of my favorite blogs to read and I am eternally grateful to her for doing this.



What inspired you to wear Lolita?
I started researching and wearing lolita after I saw the movie Kamikaze Girls, which features a lolita main character. After seeing her style and then finding out about the fashion, I was hooked and started doing my own research.

What do you like to wear when not in Lolita?
When I’m not in lolita, I still wear very feminine clothes that mix the styles of morigirl, otome, or gyaru – basically bows, lilac shorts, anything with rhinestones, and still plenty of curls. My favorite non-lolita brands are Pink by Victoria’s Secret and Juicy Couture.

Are you in school? If so what is your major/grade?

I’m a junior in college, and majoring in marketing with an aim to work in fashion merchandising.

What would you say are your “non-lolita” hobbies?
I’m not sure I’d say there are lolita hobbies versus non-lolita hobbies, but these are some of my more unusual ones – bellydancing and hoop dancing. They’re both great workouts that keep me in shape and include a lot of grace and artistry.

What kind of music do you enjoy?
Mostly I listen to anything that strikes my fancy or reminds me of something or someone. I’m really sentimental about music in that way – I really listen to the lyrics as opposed to just the sound. But my two ‘genres’ are Lady Gaga (in a class by herself!) and country music. The latter might sound surprising, but I’m from the boondocks and have a lot of family in the south, so it reminds me of home and especially my dad, who plays country on his accoustic guitar.

Books?
Books are like music – they have to strike my fancy. A few of my favorites are fairytales by Francesca Lia Block, anything by Diana Wynne Jones (who wrote the original Howl’s Moving Castle), and of course the classics like Alice in Wonderland and a Little Princess. Anything in that old-school ‘books for girls’ style is cute, too – like this little secondhand book I have called Adopted Jane. They make pink lemonade the old-fashioned way and all the girls wear white party dresses to church sociables – very Anne of Green Gables kind of flavor.

What do you think is the least Lolita about you?
Least lolita about me? That’s like asking me what is least American about me – I’m American all over! I wouldn’t say I have lolita and non-lolita parts of my life. I am a lolita, I live my life, and therefore everything in it makes up my lolita lifestyle. So I don’t feel like I have non-lolita parts that I should hide or seperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment