As is a kind of... tradition with me, I've chosen quotes I liked a lot as I read it, so here they are. Possible spoilers, but I try not to give much away.
- The merrel also knew its wing had not healed. But I could reach a great hight once more before it failed me... And from there I would fold my wings and plummet to the earth as if a hare or a fawn had caught my eye; but it would be myself I stooped toward. It would be a good flight and a good death. And so I eat their dead things cut up on a pole, dreaming of my last flight.
- This was unexpected she almost put her hand on his arm, almost said to him, What it it? Can I help? I would do anything for you -- when she realised, first, the he would not want her to have seen what she had seen, and second, that what she had barely stopped herself from saying was the truth.
- I do not know. Humans talk. It is the way humans are. Perhaps the talking fills the years; perhaps the years stretch to hold the talking.
- You humans live too long; that's your problem.
- "Those are fairy tales... I am real."
"Just like me... I'm real, too. I just don't know, real what."
- Who knows what teh rules are in a fairy tale?
- What she was was angry.
- She thought she had made more of an effort climbing window frames than she had realised, and then she thought she must be fighting off some lingering odour of...sleep, and then she thought she was probably frightened...what she was was angry.
- Did you ever know two humans so thick?