08 July, 2010

Behind the Fashion: Raegan

And finally, from the loverly Raegan of Her Curious Elegance Thanks so much!




What inspired you to wear Lolita?

It’s kind of hard to say, but for as long as I’ve known of the fashion I’ve been interested in wearing it myself. It’s nice to feel pretty and dress in a way to make yourself feel special, putting on a jumperskirt is almost therapeutic to me.

What do you like to wear when not in Lolita?

I wear loli almost daily, but if I’m taking a day off then I am usually dressed in something appropriate for the tropical climate that I live in. I mostly wear shorts, tank tops and flip flops as they help me to keep cool in the heat. Either that or you’ll find me in pajamas.

Are you in school? If so what is your major/grade?

I’m currently a junior studying at a university in Florida. My major is musical theatre and I just can’t get enough of it. Although I love my classes I’m excited to graduate so that I can start auditioning for productions!

What would you say are your “non-lolita” hobbies?

Outside of loli I have an awful lot of hobbies! I have been reading tarot cards for years and absolutely love it. I frequently do readings for my friends and am constantly looking for new spreads. Besides that I am a total bibliophile so my nose is always stuck in a book. I spend an awful lot of time writing songs, singing and making up alternate lyrics to popular hits. And I just adore playing violent, zombie themed video games!

What kind of music do you enjoy?

I have a very eclectic taste in music, the only genres I dislike are rap and hip hop. I love to sing opera and show tunes but I’d rather listen to swing, pop or synth pop when I’m in a happy mood (Lady Gaga and La Roux are my current favorites). If I’m just sitting around reading then I love to put on relaxing music like Feist or Michael Buble. When I feel romantic I listen to Gorillaz, when I’m cooking I like to put on Elvis, and when I’m getting ready for a fun night out my artist of choice is Michael Jackson!

Books?

It is very difficult for me to answer this question without writing a book myself! I love almost all kinds of fiction ranging from historical romances to sci-fi, but I have a particular soft spot for stories about women from different cultures written in first person. One of my favorite authors is Lisa See, both Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, and Peony in Love are heart wrenching and wonderful. I also love Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden (I was so shocked when I realized that the book was written by a man), The Time Travelers Wife by Audery Niffenegger, The Princess Bride by William Goldman and The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. I have never been able to get into many fantasy novels though, something about them really puts me to sleep!

What do you think is the least Lolita about you?

The fact that I do not prize modesty the way that most girls in our culture seem to do. I think that the human body is a beautiful thing and I don’t see the need to cover it up with long sleeves and long skirts unless the weather is painfully cold. To me a nude body does not automatically imply sex or sexuality, so I rarely feel any urgency to wear long socks or blouses under my jumperskirts.

Any final words?

Live for yourself and the people you love, never limit your happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment